Nikolaev (Ukr. Mykolayiv) city is regional center of Mykolayiv district in Ukraine. Located at the confluence of the two City Rivers Southern Bug and Ingul, 80 kilometers from the Black Sea.
The city received its name in memory of gained in 1788 by Russian troops the victory - capturing the Turkish fortress Ochakov on the day of St. Nicholas - patron saint of seafarers. The first ship, a 46-gun frigate, flat with the shipyard in 1790, was also named «St. Nicholas». At that time Mykolayiv began construction of large sailing warships. Nowadays the main profession for the population of Mykolayiv city is shipbuilding.
In the 1920's the administration of Mykolayiv has decided to rename the city to Vernoleninsk, but the new name hasn’t been approved by the Government. Nevertheless, in the encyclopedic dictionary of German in 1927 and 1932 years on the map of European part of the Soviet Union the city was named Vernoleninskom.
The population of Mykolaiv is multinational: Ukrainians, Russian, Greeks, Bulgarians, Moldovans, Poles, Czechs, Germans, Tatars and is around 515,000 people.
The Mykolayiv main architectural sights are: The Museum of shipbuilding and fleet of Petr Neyelov Architect; an observatory of the Black Sea fleet; the cathedral of Saint Mykolay; The building of Officer's assembly.